Richard Stantiford co-founded The Lifestyle Physiologist in 2019 and works in Brighton and Hove and the surrounding areas.
Richard J Stantiford
Richard J Stantiford
MSc, Dip H.Ed, ACSM C-EP, BACPR, cert AAI
Richard is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist with 30 years’ experience in the health & fitness industry and is passionate about Lifestyle Medicine. He spent the first 10 years of his career working as a Personal Trainer in London’s most exclusive health clubs including “Champneys” of Piccadilly and coached a diverse range of clients including many celebrities. Whilst living in London he also completed 4 years training at the British School of Osteopathy where he learned an in-depth knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology, which included human cadaver dissection at Guys Medical School.
Richard is an appointed Public Health Collaboration (PHC) Ambassador for Brighton and Hove. The PHC are a Charity dedicated to informing and implementing healthier decisions for better public health. His role is to represent the PHC at a local level to nurture a network of people to help inform and implement healthier decisions (especially dietary advice) for where they live.
Richard is a Specialist Personal Trainer in Brighton and Hove. He provides Personal Training in Brighton to help clients lose weight and improve health outcomes offering both fitness classes and sessions in a training studio.
During his career Richard’s passion for knowledge in the field of Exercise Medicine has resulted in the acquisition of various Academic and Vocational Qualifications, which include:
- A Master’s (MSc.) Degree in Exercise and Behavioural Medicine (with distinction) from the University of West London
- National Diploma in Sport & Leisure Studies
- Higher Education Diploma in Osteopathy
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (C-EP) with the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM C-EP) (Cert No: 513782)
- Accredited Phase IV Exercise Specialist with the British Association for Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation (BACPR)
- Accredited Pulmonary Rehab and Exercise Referral Specialist with the Wright Foundation.
- Accredited Rehab Trainer with Rehab Trainer (Australia)
- Certified Tai Chi and Qi Gong for Rehabilitation Instructor
- Immediate Life Support (ILS) trained (Resuscitation Council UK)
- Associate of the ARNI Institute for Stroke Rehabilitation (AAI)
- Diploma in LCHF Nutrition from The Noakes Foundation
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- BACPR – Physical Activity and Exercise in Heart Failure: Assessment, Prescription, and Delivery (2009)
- BACPR – Physical Activity and Exercise in the Management of Cardiovascular Disease Part II – Advanced Applications (2012)
- ACSM – Physical Activity Programming for Clients with Obesity (Feb 2017)
- ACSM – Polar Heart Rate Monitoring Assessment ( March 2017)
- BACPR – Assessing Functional Capacity: How to Administer and interpret Submaximal Tests in Clinical Populations (June 2017)
- Assessing Functional Capacity: How to administer and interpret Submaximal Tests in Clinical Populations (June 2017)
- ELITE HRV – Foundations of (HRV) Heart Rate Variability Course (November 2017)
- BACPR – Dietary Approach to Managing Cardiovascular Disease and Weight (November 2017)
- SCOPE – Specialist Certification of Obesity Professional Education (Core Learning Pathway) Part 1 (November 2017)
- Wales Exercise Medicine Symposium WEMS / BASEM (Jan 2018)
- Public Health Collaboration (PHC) Ambassador Training (February 2018)
- Balanced Approach – Tai Chi & QiGong CPD Update (November 2020)
Richard J Stantiford
Upon completion of his masters – Richard became an honouree lecturer at the University of West London teaching both undergraduate and graduate students Sport and Exercise Science.
For the last 15 years he has primarily focused on working with clients / patients who have underlying health problems, including cardiovascular, respiratory and metabolic conditions using a Lifestyle Medicine approach.
He currently divides his work between running a busy online (post Covid) cardiac rehab programme and working with private referred patients from Stroke Solutions in addition to helping complex obese patients on behalf of Sussex Medical Chambers. Richard has collaborated with some of the most influential medical experts in the UK including Consultant Cardiologist and best selling author Dr Aseem Malhotra, whom he refers patients that need specialist care.
Currently Richard is involved in a clinical research study at the Princess Royal Hospital working with acute stroke patients requiring upper limb physical therapy.
Richard provides services both online and in the community for cardiac rehabilitation, qi-gong and weight management.